Monday, January 10, 2011

The "laughing, mischievous Le Guin"

Strange Horizons posted Paul Kincaid's review of 80! Memories & Reflections on Ursula K. Le Guin today. Interestingly, the highlight, for Kincaid, is the "laughing, mischievous Le Guin."  An aside in the first paragraph ("What followed was one of those convivial communal meals that feature so often in good feminist literature and so rarely in fiction by men"), by the way, somewhat startled me. In any case, if you're interested in the book, do go read Kincaid's review. 

2 comments:

Josh said...

I think it's nice that Kincaid makes so much out of refuting the "po faced feminist" stereotype, just because that's stereotype was so central to the attack on Le Guin in Disch's book. But 80! is rather better than he gives it credit for being.

Debbie said...

I have a whole spiel on why the "feminists have no sense of humor stereotype" is so pervasive and unshakable. And I'm glad if the book counters it (though it would seem that the review is there so Kincaid can tell his story).

Mostly I just dropped in to thank Josh for the compliment. I liked the review, and I like Josh's comment more.